Monday, August 18, 2008

BOLT!

Is this an appropriate name for a sprinter or what? Usain Bolt of Jamaica set a new world record the other night in the 100m dash.

Two things about this race that blew me away:

1. First, the obvious. 9.69? Are you kidding me? To think that he could have been faster had he not pulled up & started to celebrate just blows me away. The records just keep falling. Only ten years ago Ben Johnson ran a 9.79 (albeit later revealed he used performance-enhancing substances). Athletes are getting faster & faster.

2. If you go back & watch the video, watch the unbelievable acceleration he displays halfway through. He is with the pack at the start of the race, and then, out of nowhere, he finds this other gear that clearly the other runners lack. That is called acceleration, my friends, and it is both a gift and something he worked on.

I love the Olympics....

No comments: