Thursday, November 12, 2009

"Man, I Gotta Do Something..."

In my line of work, I hear this phrase a lot. It usually is preceded by a few sentences describing this person's current physical condition, or an athlete's lack of speed or strength. The conversation goes something like this:

"I haven't done any exercise in months, and it's really starting to show around my waist."

OR

"I was fast 2 years ago but now I have lost a step or two."


For both of these instances the very next phrase out of their mouth is: "I have to do something to change this." Well, congrats....you have taken the first step. It's sort of like a person with an addiction problem; it is extremely important to come to the realization that you have to make a change in your life. So, for these examples, they have already taken the first step....that is, to make both a mental & verbal decision to take some action.

In response to their phrase "I gotta do something", I like to encourage them that, in fact, they already have done something---they have gone to someone to help them start addressing their issues. So, step one is out of the way. Now it becomes my job to help them along in the next progression of steps.

I encourage anyone---be it the soccer player who needs more speed, the baseball player who needs to throw harder, the weekend runner who needs to get in better shape----to make the first effort to "do something." Let's take the average person who is just wanting to improve their physical condition. Do some simple things like:

* Take the stairs instead of the elevator
* Park farther away in the parking lot
* Eat smaller portions & eat more frequently
* Take an evening walk---even for 10 minutes

Now, let's look at athletes training for a particular sport:

* Do extra sprints
* Every night do 1-3 rounds of 10 no-weight squats, 10 push-ups, 5-10 pull-ups, and 20 sit-ups.
* Stretch your muscles whenever you can

These examples are the most basic, simple steps one can take. If you do these already & want to go to the next level, get in touch with someone who is qualified to help you. I would recommend someone certified by the NATA or the NSCA. Find someone who can help you go to the next level.

Remember, when you get to the point of realizing that you need to do something, anything is better than nothing. Get moving people. Inaction is what hinders people, not action.

No comments: